Do you remember when I said that a lot of companies were looking at using blogs, having assembled the task forces but not yet pulling the trigger?
Spherion just launched their blog, Big Time. No, that's not creative writing, it's the name of their blog, The Big Time.
Things they did right:
- It looks like a blog, but still professional.
- The CEO is an author.
- 4 people are writing.
- They link to other blogs in the recruiting blogosphere (community).
- They reached out to other bloggers to promote the site.
- Posting is on topic and immediately interesting.
- They hold comments for approval (very important for corporate blogs)
Things they did wrong:
Um, so far, nothing is wrong. I like their blog and the way they approached me (a PR guy sent me an e-mail) I wonder what they paid for the blog and what their long-term strategy is, but it's way too early to do anything but say, well done, Spherion. We look forward to talking with you more.
Of course, if you are a competitor of Spherion, you might consider launching your own blog. I know just the company to do it.